Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) [Add Reply][New Topic][New Poll]

The Way, Way Back, OPEN
Cassandra DuNord
 Posted: Nov 26 2014, 01:05 AM
[Quote]

Group: High Noble

At first when she heard the woman's name it did not ring a bell. But then he said something that made all the air go out of her body.

"She was a nanny to the duke's child in Kelyea... she was there when your husband seiged the villa..."

Cassandra blanched, her skin going as white as snow. Her cheeks went hot. Her hands started shaking and her apple dropped to the dust below her feet.

"Elliott?"

"Oh God..."

It all came back to her then flooding her mind. The story that Ed had told her about what had happened that night. The truth he had unburdened himself with and the flippant manner she had let it all go. It was easy to let horror go when it was not your own. Yet here in front of her was the man who had experienced that horror first hand. Here was the man who had lost a wife and a child because of her husband's actions.

Her hand went to cover her mouth and prevent the pained sob from escaping. She had let go of Elliott's hand and could no longer look at Jackal and Hayde. How could she even been here? She was a fool. She closed her eyes against this horrible moment and decided what she should do. In truth she wanted to run. She wanted to go and never look back. But as Duchess she could not do that. She had a duty.

"I am so sorry. I had no idea that was your wife. I know the story of what happened that night. Both sides were in terrible danger. Lives were lost.."

She stammered ineffectually.

"My husband is a good man. He..."

She bit her lip. Elliott would have to be willing to hear the other side of the story. But how forgiving could he be when he was without the woman he loved and the child of that love?

"I am sorry Elliott. How can I help you? How can I make amends?"

She schooled her features, but the heartbreak was clear on her face. The duchess was many things, but she was a good honest woman and would do what needed to be done to make things as right as they could be made.

"Of course there is no way to fully repair such a tragedy, but please let me do something, anything...maybe hear Ed's side of the story, or..."

Words finally failed her and she looked at the men helplessly.

This post has been edited by Cassandra DuNord: Nov 26 2014, 01:15 PM
[PM][Email]GTalk
^
Elliot
 Posted: Nov 26 2014, 06:59 PM
[Quote]

Group: Commoner

Elliot shook his head, anger filling him up the more Cassandra spoke and the more he thought about what had happened. How Edmund could do what he did with nothing more than a slap on the wrist - if that's what he'd gotten at all. How that villainous duke had murdered hundreds, then got to keep his wife and his child, too. And Elliot had been the one to help that be possible... if he could take it back...

Well, now, that was evil, perhaps...

Jackal and Hayde were silent, their eyes meeting each others as things seemed to come to a head.

"Your husband isn't a good man!" Elliot exclaimed. He shook his head and leaned forward where he sat, peering earnestly at Cassandra. "Have you seen Villa Cari? Do you know what he did there? I'm sure he told you something that made him sound heroic but I have been there. I have seen the ruins he left. My pregnant wife was not his only casualty."
[PM]
^
Cassandra DuNord
 Posted: Nov 29 2014, 12:32 AM
[Quote]

"No I have not seen the villa.."

She said as the horror settled in.

"He was no hero. He told me the truth. He said the men were out for blood, the armies were mad with the rage of war and he had to do something. He had to make a choice."

Her voice was thin and high.

"Your wife, tired to kill them. She took their breath. She was..a witch!"

"Ed didn't want to hurt her at all. He is haunted by what happened that night.

"Both sides were to blame Elliot. There were no innocent parties."

Her mind raced over the story Ed had shared with her. She didn't miss anything she prayed. She tried to remember it all. Exactly as he said. It was important.

"There are no heroes in a war. This was Rhiann's doing....."
[PM][Email]GTalk
^
Elliot
 Posted: Dec 2 2014, 06:44 PM
[Quote]

She hadn't seen the carnage? Of course she hadn't. She'd seen it soon enough, perhaps. Right there on her own front lawn. Karma paid everything back. Ed's day would come, and Cassandra's with it.

"It's that easy, huh? Your husband's a hero and my wife's a witch? Must be convenient, living in the sunshine. There may not be heroes in war but there sure as hell are villains, and your husband is one of them."

Elliot stood, backing up from the box he'd sat upon. How had they gotten here, from lunch to warring. Oh, right. Because her husband was a horrible person.

"You think my wife, pregnant nine months with our child, instigated a direct fight with your husband? Really? How long have you been in the world duchess deWinter? Im younger than you, Im sure, and I know that that is highly unlikely. Whether my wife had... had magic or not is beside the point - She was defending herself and the other innocents at Villa Cari from the attack by your husband. Who, may I remind you, is Rhiann's left hand."
[PM]
^
Cassandra DuNord
 Posted: Dec 10 2014, 12:02 AM
[Quote]

"I didn't say he was a hero!"

She nearly screamed as she stumbled to her feet.

"No..no..I didn't say any of that. I wasn't there..I don't know what happened."

She looked at the man she thought was her friend, her savoir. But apparently she was a foolish child again.

"It was the men! The army!" She finally offered. "He hated his mother but was bound to serve her. There are two sides to every story Elliott. Please believe me. I am no fool."

Or was she?

"His mother is dead and he is glad for her death..she was evil, true evil..and he did what he could at the time to follow her orders. He tried to save who he could...Please believe me?"

But why should he? The history is written by the winners and he had won hadn't he?

"I should go...I am so sorry. I...I don't know what..I am so sorry Elliott."

She was horrified and angry. She had to speak with Ed, she had to get more information. Maybe he hadn't told her anything.

"Please keep the food."

This post has been edited by Cassandra DuNord: Dec 30 2014, 05:07 PM
[PM][Email]GTalk
^
Elliot
 Posted: Dec 29 2014, 05:48 PM
[Quote]

Elliot locked his jaw as he watched Cassandra retreat, feeling the tears in his heart opening up as the woman stumbled about in blind faith of her husband. Had she really fallen for his tales of innocence? He had probably wrapped her in his arms and told woeful tales in which he stared as the victim, or the reluctant hand of justice. And she had believed him, of course, because what evidence did she have against him, and why would she want to believe that he was a force of evil in this world? No why would she want to think that? She was married to the beast, after all.

"Question him, Ms. deWinter..." Elliot said, standing with his feet planted as he watched her retreat further. "You may see a side of him you don't want to know is there... but woe on you if you ignore its existence! Woe on you!"

He jabbed his finger at her her way, having lost somewhere in this conversation not just his sense of decorum, but a sense of who they were in all but the context of "Edmund's war."

Jackal stood, snapping to his feet and put his hands hard on Elliot's shoulder, whispering something in the man's ear and giving him a stout jerk, at which Elliot shook his head and pulled against him.

"He doesn't mean it, duchess - forgive him!" Jackal yelled from over Elliot's back, holding the man tight to his chest.

"I do mean it!" The merchant yelled. "I mean every wo-"

Jackal, for loss of all other description fell, then, taking Elliot down in hopes of shutting the fool up, which did seem to happen, though for how long it would work was uncertain.
[PM]
^
Cassandra DuNord
 Posted: Dec 30 2014, 05:33 PM
[Quote]

She stumbled to her horse as he continued to yell at her. Tears stung her eyes. Her horse, sensing her distress whinnied nervously.

She reached for the reins and the horse started. But Cassandra was in no mood for disobedience. She pulled hard on the reins and swung herself up into the seat. She kept her eyes away from the men. Her jaw was set and her eyes were over flowing. There was anger at her husband but then deep sorrow for whatever had happened. He obviously didn’t tell her everything and it broke her heart. Did he not trust her? How could he…

Wielding her horse toward the house she saw the other man with Elliott on the ground. Her heart dropped and she sent a silent thanks to A’er that the man hadn’t harmed her and Ralph when he certainly could have.

A wall fell between them. Maybe it had always been there. But now the bricks grew thicker. Perhaps she needed to stop going out at all. If one man had such an opinion of Ed there were more. She was not safe. Ralph was not safe.

A cold ball of ice formed in her stomach. As she looked to the house in the distance she swore she could hear the gates of a jail cell closing behind her.
Her freedom slipped away as she watched. But there was nothing more important now other than the safety of her child.

And the safety of the people of her dear Fexlund.

<exit Cassandra>

This post has been edited by Cassandra DuNord: Dec 31 2014, 12:06 AM
[PM][Email]GTalk
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
[Add Reply][New Topic][New Poll]

Created by TheGreatDG thanks to kismet's template, Ashar Rising
RPGD TopsitesRPG-D